Used Cars: Evaluating and Buying
Following are some helpful reminders to use as you look for a used car to purchase. As you use these reminders, remember to take your time and shop around to find the best car and deal for you.
- Know how much you can afford on a monthly basis. This includes the car payment, insurance, and gasoline.
- Be sure to inspect the car carefully. Make sure you test, inspect or review the following.
- Doors, hood and trunk
- All lights
- Leaks under the hood and the car
- Moldy smell in car interior
- Paint color differences, which can indicate the car was in an accident.
- Seat belts
- Exterior and interior rust
- Car maintenance records
- Test-drive the car and evaluate the following.
- Acceleration (from the stop position)
- Acceleration (pass another vehicle)
- Seat comfort
- Air conditioner
- Does the car pull to the left or right?
- Unusual noises
- Interior controls
- Audio system