Ways to Work is a proven, innovative program that provides small loans to low-income parents who cannot get loans elsewhere.
Many people take reliable transportation for granted. But to some, owning a car means the difference between getting or keeping a decent job, accessing high quality childcare, participating in their children's school related activities, and obtaining additional job training or education. The purpose of a Ways to Work loan is to help family members pay for unexpected expenses that could interfere with their ability to keep a job or stay in school. Most often the loans are used to purchase a reliable, pre-owned vehicle.
Our vision is a healthy society and strong communities for all children and families.
Ways to Work's mission is to strengthen Alliance member organizations and their capacity to serve communities with strategies to improve the financial condition of distressed families.
- We understand that people need financial help at various times in their lives.
- We assume the best about loan applicants and support them in living up to their highest aspirations.
- We believe people want to better themselves, improve the lives of their children, and contribute to society.
- We believe that small amounts of money at the right moment can make a great amount of difference in moving working poor families along the path to self-sufficiency and away from welfare and dependency.
- We welcome and support applicants who exhibit a potential for success in work or school even though they may have had limited success with past credit experiences.
- We believe that the climate of mutual support and responsibility within informal local communities can provide built-in incentives for borrowers to repay loans.